Soup is wonderful for so many reasons. It’s delicious, has so much nutritional value and it is the only way I can get my daughter to eat kale. She’ll eat other veggies, no problem, but kale… not so much. She practically inhaled this tonight.
Even my super picky husband will gobble it up and I am pretty sure some of the vegetables probably even made it into his mouth. I usually make the carrots pretty small so that they areharder to pick out.
- 2 pounds Italian sausage. Make your own using this recipe.
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown your sausage in a large stock pot.
- Once sausage has browned, remove it from the pan. Use the grease left in the pan to saute your carrots, celery and onion. When it becomes fragrant and onions become translucent, add garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Return sausage to the pan along with the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil and then reduced to simmer for at least 20 minutes or until potatoes can be pierced with a fork.
- Remove from heat and serve hot (or, with ice cubes for your little one!).