I hate to be a traitor to my Paleo peeps, but I think I am officially giving up on Cauliflower rice. It has three major problems:
- It’s not that easy to cook. I have the worlds tiniest food processor so I have to rice it in batches, causing cauliflower chunks to get all over my kitchen. Then, I usually over or under cook it.
- It doesn’t taste or smell great so B won’t eat it. She can identify it as cauliflower a mile away and she will not put it in her mouth. One time I did get her to try it and she put the equivalent of 1 grain in her mouth and proceeded to act like she’d been poisoned.
- White rice is actually easier for me to digest. The whole reason I started to eat paleo was provide me some relief from my constant stomach issues, and cauliflower doesn’t settle well with me. Rice rice is fine.
So, this is the one grain I regularly consume in small amounts.
I used to eat a ton of Spanish Rice as a kid. My grandma made the absolute best rice. It was flavorful without being overpowering. I made it with her countless times as a kid, but I haven’t been able to recreate it with that same flavor (grandma magic?).
But this week I nailed that flavor in my instant pot.
- 1 tbsp bacon grease or pork lard
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup organic diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth (add 1/4 cup if you prefer a wetter rice)
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 3/4 tsp salt (omit if your broth and tomatoes include salt- you can always add more later)
- Mix chicken broth, diced tomatoes and salt in a blender and set aside.
- Set instant pot to sauté and add pork fat. One the fat has melted add the onions and sauté until fragrant. Add in garlic and stir continuously.
- Add dry rice and sauté for 2-3 minutes until it starts to brown, but be careful not to let it burn.
- Add the tomato and broth mixture.
- Push the cancel button on the instant pot. Then select manual and set the timer to 7 minutes. Put the lid on the pot and allow it to come up to pressure. This will take 5-10 minutes.
- The pressure cooker will begin counting down. When the timer is done, it will start to gradually release pressure. Do not open the lid until the pressure has been fully released.
- Stir rice and serve.